January 8, 2009

I make a difference...

At the school my boys attend, the students learn about characteristics of virtue and are taught to identify these characteristics in others--usually in famous Americans who have made their mark on history. Christian's teacher has decided to take this a step further, and his class will spend some time recognizing virtuous characteristics in fellow classmates. To begin, each student was asked to write a letter to himself/herself identifying four virtuous characteristics they possess. Christian brought his letter home yesterday for me to edit for a final draft. I have to admit that I had to turn my head away to hide the mistiness in my eyes as my heart grew a little bigger for this son of mine (if that is at all possible). You see, Christian works harder than most to keep up with his classmates. And he does it with a smile on his face. Not to say he doesn't get discouraged sometimes, because I know that he does. But he keeps on climbing...and climbing...and climbing. Early on in his educational experience, I had a very wise person say to me, "You know, this was the mountain that Christian was given to climb. And YOU can give him the boots he will need to climb that mountain". At that very moment, I began to accept, for the first time, that I will never be able to take these challenges away from him. After all, it is a part of who he is. And I know he is stronger and will one day be a better person for learning to overcome these difficulties. So as I read through this letter he had written to himself, my heart swelled with pride, not only for beautifully complete sentences and very few spelling mistakes he had made, but more importantly for the characteristics of helpfulness, respect and reliability that he can see in himself. The last sentence, the one you can't see because it is continued on to the next page, says "I make a difference in the world through joyfulness". Yes, Christian, you do. And I know you will continue to make a difference in this world through your joyfulness. Oh how I love this kid! Now, my very favorite part of the letter came at the end when he signed it this way: "Sinserely Yours Trooley, Christian". Today, on this Thursday afternoon, I am thankful for teachers who help their students recognize the value and importance of virtue in their lives.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones