January 21, 2009

Fortune Cookies

One of my favorite pictures of Sophie
~taken October 1, 2008~
One month after Gotcha Day
During our almost two year wait for Sophie to come home, Ian and I would often find ourselves at our favorite Chinese restaurant on the weekends talking about and hoping for the day we would travel to China to bring our daughter home. I always looked forward to opening my fortune cookie at the end of our meal to see what bit of wisdom or promise of hope was there to be had. While I know that these little cookies actually have their origins here in the old US of A and really are not, in fact, Chinese, it was still something I enjoyed doing. Those two years, I kept all of my favorites tucked away inside my wallet. Now, looking back, I wish I had taken the time to date them, because interestingly enough, there was some truth to them as we reached certain milestones in our journey :) This past week, as I was purging papers from my planner and purse, I ran across these little fortunes. I still love them and will probably always keep them because they make me smile remembering the feeling of anticipation we had waiting to finally see her sweet face.

You are guided by silent love and friendship around you.

There will always be delightful mysteries in your life.

You will be called to fill a position of high honor and responsibility.

From your garden of dreams, many things will blossom.

You will take a chance in the near future.

You are a deep thinker with a knack for problem solving.

The near future holds a fine gift of contentment.

Someone is thinking about you.

A wish will be granted after a long delay.

There are plenty of promises and hope floating around you.

You will soon bring joy to someone.

You will bring sunshine into someone's life.

A trip by air is in your future.

You are almost there.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Hey Kim those are really cool. Those would be fun to find a creative idea to display them in her room. Just get Martha Stewarty or better yet Nate Berkusy and find a way to show those off. Looking back at that picture you can tell how much she has grown up in such a short time.

Catherine said...

I love that you've kept these!

Kempner Family said...

Kim, your blog is darling and so is your family. I love it! You will have to give me some pointers. Ours if KempnerFamily at blog spot. I love the fortune cookies and all your journaling.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones