March 1, 2009

Six Months

Really, has it been six months since we were in China? I can hardly believe it! In some ways, it feels like we were just there meeting Sophie for the very first time and, in other ways, it's hard for me to remember what it was like without her in our family. Looking back at a few pictures today has reminded me just how much she has grown. She is now 34" tall and 24 pounds. I know, I know, a little peanut, for sure. But she has gained about 4 pounds and grown at least a couple of inches. I don't know about the accuracy of these measurements at the doctor's office. One week she is 35" and the next week 34". I know for a fact that she is not shrinking :) I think it varies a bit depending on who is doing the measuring. But, I do know she is growing, because her clothes that were once too big are looking a little on the short and snug side. And that, I guess, is what matters. She is also so much more sure of herself now. It's sad for me to remember how scared she was when we first came home. Every new sound or movement made her jump out of her skin. Little things like the garage door opening, the sound of a dresser drawer being shut, the automatic van door opening/closing, the sight of our dog. Everything was just so scary for her. She is not that way at all anymore. In fact, you might think she owned the place :) She knows where everything belongs, and I find her hustling herself around putting everyone's stuff in its rightful place. The funny thing is, while she busies herself cleaning up after us, she seems oblivious to her own tiny tornado trail that she herself leaves behind. We affectionately call her Messy Mei. Because, well, she is just that.

While I was lying next to Sophie at bedtime tonight, she did what she always does. After fussing around a bit, trying to get comfortable, or just getting the wiggles out, she finally settles into a comfy spot. She's quiet and still for a few minutes and then, she will sit up, say "mom" in her raspy little voice, and plant a sweet, baby kiss right on my lips. It's the sweetest thing ever, and I really just love it. Or I guess I should say, I just really, really love her.

So, since six months have passed since we first held Sophie in our arms. I decided that it's time for another...

"Ten Things I Love About You"

1. When you're sitting in your high chair, I love it when you shimmy your shoulders and dance your arms up and down to let me know you like what I'm feeding you. Just a little happy dance :)

2. I love it when you call your daddy "Ian dad" and say it over and over again to make us laugh at you.

3. I love it when you point your fingers in the air and do a little disco when you like the music we are listening to in the car.

4. I love it when you go looking for your baby every morning and when you find her, you kiss her, love her, pat her back, wrap her, feed her and say "oh..." like you are trying to make her feel all better.

5. I love it when someone opens the freezer door and you make a dash for the bag of frozen peas hoping to grap a handful before the door shuts :)

6. I love your frantic happiness when you see an airplane in the sky and always call it a bird. And how you find the airplane in your favorite book, "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes". You seem to be trying to tell me something. Everyday. You show me the room with the babies. And then the picture of the baby and mama. You always point and say "baby, mom". Oh, how I wish I knew what you were thinking...

7. I love watching you learn new things. Seeing you walk up the stairs one-foot-right-after-the-other without holding onto the railing made me realize just how much stronger you are now. And you were even carrying your brother's basketball! You were so proud of yourself!

8. I love hearing you laugh with your brothers and sister even if you don't know what is funny. You just seem happy to join in the fun.

9. I love watching you hustle along behind your daddy, nodding your head and saying "yah" to everything he says, like "in the spring, we'll get Sophie a bunny". "Yah".

10. I love it when I find you with your arms folded, your head bowed, saying a little baby talk prayer in your most quiet, reverent voice. It is the sweetest. Once more, I just wish I knew...

During our wait, I remember reading a comment on a yahoo board made by a mom who had just recently returned home from China with her new daughter. She was talking about the process of international adoption and all the paperwork and procedural hoops families jump through during the very lengthy process of adoption. She said, "You know, I would jump through those hoops again. Even if every one of them was set on fire". I've thought about that a bit since we've been home. And it didn't take me long to realize that I would too. In a second. Do it all over again. Even if the hoops were set on fire.

You are a blessing to us, Sophie. In every way. We love you. And I wish my double chin was as cute as yours :)

5 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

Hard to believe Sophie has a double china at 24#!!! She is such a peanut, but growing so well & she looks and sounds GREAT, like she is finally home and has adjusted so well!! Sophie, I am so happy you have found your forever family, you are right where you belong!!

p.s. are you really getting a bunny in the spring??

This is me! said...

Oh, Kim, you made me cry- again!

Catherine said...

Hard to believe it's six months!!! She's such a cute little blessing!

Rebecca Lily said...

Wow, SIX MONTHS Kim!!! This is so beautiful, and so is your precious Sophie!

I love the hats you buy for her... I am looking for a crochet/flower hat for my Claire, but hard to find a size 6!

Blessings,
Rebecca

ellieshine said...

Love the photos - Sophie looks soooooo happy! Happy 6 months home!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones