February 19, 2009

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Viking's Life for Me



Tonight was Third Grade Explorer's Night at the kid's school. All third graders were asked to dress as their favorite explorer. Michael, who is my most reserved child, will do anything to avoid drawing attention to himself. He wasn't feeling too confident in his helmet with horns and kept insisting that Vikings really didn't have horns on their helmets. I managed to snap a few pictures before and during the activity before he quietly placed that helmet in the basket of Sophie's stroller. Sneaky, eh? The teachers had planned some explorer themed activities which the students rotated through and then there was a 30 minute "show what you know" program. They recited poetry, sang songs and even enthusiastically diagrammed some sentences! I loved the bone song where they recite all the bones in the human body while pointing to "Mr. Bones". It was a fun night topped off with banana splits for the students. Michael passed on the sundae if you can believe. I don't know how he continues to grow and is the tallest boy in the third grade as he literally exists on bagels, toast, ravioli and an occasional grilled cheese sandwich :) It was fun to spend the night with you, Michael! You would have made Leif Ericson proud!

Sophie was happy to wear the helmet for Michael...

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Cute pictures!!! - Mindy

This is me! said...

Glad the evening went well and the costume worked out! I didn't realize that he was the tallest in his class! I shouldn't be surprised. Sophie looks adorable in the helmet.

Catherine said...

He looks very Viking-ish! And I had to laugh at "enthusiastically diagramming sentences..." LOL!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones