"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break."
-Chinese Proverb
May 13th is a day that has layers of meaning for me. In 1991, May 13th was the day my very first baby was due to be born. It should have been a day filled with excitement and anticipation. But sadly, it wasn't. Our daughter had been born at 32 weeks. And she was no longer with us. It was one of the most difficult heartbreaking times in my life. It's still hard to find the right words to express the feelings that I had at the time. We were both young and in college. I was 22. Ian 23. The doctors were unable to provide us with any answers or explanations for our daughter's passing. Just that all future pregnancies would be considered "high risk".
Fifteen months later in the summer of 1992, Jessica was born. She was beautiful, and we loved her more than anything. Once in awhile, shortly after her birth, I would find myself wishing that she and her sister could have grown up together. Having grown up with four sisters myself, it was something I always wanted for her. For her to have a sister too. Ian knew this and during a casual conversation one afternoon, he said, "one day we will bring home a little girl from China". I'm still not sure where that feeling or statement came from, but it was one that never left him.
In March of 2007, our dossier documents were sent to China. Our "wait" had finally begun for our little girl from China. So much transpired during that time. Too much to recount here. But, I will say that our faith grew and our hearts were opened more and more with each passing day. Not to say that there weren't disappointments and frustrations as the wait time grew and policies changed. Because there was plenty of that. Almost to the point that I doubted whether or not it would ever really happen. But it did...
And on May 13, 2008, one year ago today, Ian and I received "the call" that would change our lives forever. We journaled about that day here. And saw her face for the very first time. It is a day I will never forget.
Sophie Mei Now...
May 13th also marks 8 months home.
These pictures were taken on our very first day home.

Sisters meeting for the first time at the airport
on September 13, 2008.
This is one of my favorite pictures!
Today, May 13th reminds me of my sweet, sweet blessings...



















4 comments:
Such a sweet & tender post...Sophie is a blessing. :)
Thanks for sharing your stories of Sophie and your family. I love it.
Thanks for sharing this date with us! Happy Referral Day!
What a sweet, sweet post. Having watched you bring Sophie home, I can attest to the true miracle she is! She has come so far & she is so beautiful & such a joy. What an amazing red thread you have from your first daughter to your last, WOW!!
Post a Comment