"Though you say good-bye to yesterday...
may you hold it in your heart forever."
~author unknown~
I've always been a counter. A time counter in particular. I guess it's a way for me to see progress. To see where we've been. To reflect. To celebrate our successes and recognize our mistakes. To recommit and look with hope towards the future. I'm nostalgic that way. I always have been. Just ask my hubby. I am known to frequently pose questions such as "Do you remember what today is?" And he will usually humor me and try his best to recall what it is he has most likely forgotten :) We call these situations "love-tests" at our house. Sometimes he remembers. Sometimes he doesn't. It's o.k. I'll remember for the both of us :) "Kimmy-time" he calls it.
Anyway, the nostalgia is here again today. It is an anniversary of sorts. One year, one month and twenty-one days. Four hundred sixteen days to be exact. What does this time mark you ask? Four hundred sixteen days marks the time that Sophie spent alone in an orphanage in China. Alone. She endured much during that time. More that I will ever fully comprehend, I'm sure.
Today, four hundred sixteen days later. Time is equal. From this day on, she will have been with us longer than she was alone in China. Sure, time doesn't erase all things. Nor would I ever want to to take all of that from her. Not at all. I pray that she grows feeling a sense of pride for the country of her birth. Proud of the culture and ancient, honored traditions. I hope that she will, in time, embrace all the wonderful and good things of China. I know that I will do all I can to ensure that she does.
But I would erase the sadness, the loneliness, the hunger and the pain. And anything else that may have hurt her little heart during that time. She is amazingly strong, and oh, so brave.

























7 comments:
gorgous pictures! you have a beautiful precious little blessing!
kim
Oh, Kim! big ugly tears here!!! I am SO happy that you are walking on the other side of time now (if that makes sense!) The road is long, but love is huge and yes, now Sophie Mei is ever more yours!!! Can you stand just saying that; it is so beautiful!!!!
Your pictures are gorgeous as well (as usual!!) I love the International Ave pumpkins (:
These are such gorgeous shots! Love the idea of "more yours"!
Ok I'm laughing and crying all at the same time, crying because of what you wrote and how much we love sophie. The laughs come from our picture adventures, i would say from the looks of these you should be doing my job! haha
We love you all:) Glad Sophie is a part of our family forever.
Oh Kim!...what a BEAUTIFUL post!! I am a nostalgic and sentimental sap, too... and I always think of things in numbers like that, so this completely captured me! I remember following your journey to Sophie on your 'my personal website' blog and it's beautiful to see how rooted she already is into your family. She is clearly loved and you are all SO blessed to have one another! She is now 'more yours'...always and forever YOUR daughter!! I can't wait until the day I can say the same thing about Khloe. We just need to get her home, first!! ;)
Gorgeous photos,too, BTW!! They are STUNNING...as usual! <><
Blessings and Hugs,
~Tanya
What a wonderful day and what a wonderful mother you are! You commemorate all of the most important days! We love you guys!
I LOVE how you made your post so sweet and insightful - you have a gift :) Yea that Sophie is "more yours"!
I would love to be invited to keep up with your family when you make your blog private! My email is funstampin@aol.com
Hugs :) ellie
Post a Comment